The Department of Physics was established in 1908 with Dr. Willibald Weniger hired as Assistant Professor to teach the four courses offered in physics. Prior to 1908, courses on physics were offered by several different academic departments including the Department of Chemistry, Physics, Geology, and Minerology, and the Department of Physics, History, and Latin. Initially housed in Apperson Hall, the department relocated to the newly constructed Covell Hall in 1928 and moved again in 1962 to the Physics-Chemistry Building (now Weniger Hall). Expanding the number and range of classes after 1908 to eventually form the core of an undergraduate degree program, the department began to offer graduate-level courses in physics in 1926.
Return to Physics Department Records Home