Physical education has been a part of OSU's curriculum since the early 1900s. By 1910 a physical education department had been established, and all students were required to take PE during their freshman and sophomore years. Until 1928, the Director of Physical Education also served as Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. A School of Health and Physical Education was established in 1930, but was relegated to a division (lower level courses only) in 1933 with the reorganization of public higher education in Oregon. The Division of Physical Education existed until 1974, when the School of Health and Physical Education was reestablished. Degree-granting status was obtained in 1970. In 1983 the school became the College of Health and Physical Education, and in 1989 the name was changed to the College of Health and Human Performance. The college has administered the university's intramural sports program since 1916.
Return to College of Health and Human Performance Records Home