The first graduate degree at Oregon State was conferred in 1875. In 1910 the Committee on Advanced Degrees (known as the Graduate Committee) was established. Gordon V. Skelton was chair of the committee from 1910-1933. When OSSHE formed a Graduate Division in 1933, the subdivision at OSU was the College Graduate Council (which replaced the Graduate Committee). This marked the beginning of formalized graduate programs at OSU. In 1946, an autonomous graduate school office was established. Henry P. Hansen became the first dean of the new office in 1947; he served until 1972.
Return to Graduate School Records Home