The Science Research Institute was established at Oregon State College on August 5, 1952, by action of the Oregon State Board of Higher Education. As part of the School of Science, its mission was to "preserve and encourage the individual initiative of productive research in the science faculty, to intensify research activities, to encourage research grants, and to promote teamwork in research among the staff members in the different fields of science." Vernon H. Cheldelin served as director from 1952 until his death in 1966. Subsequent directors were John M. Ward, 1966-1971; and R. W. Newburgh, 1971-1974. The institute ended in 1974; its functions were largely absorbed by the Department of Biophysics and Biochemistry.
Return to Science Research Institute Records Home