Wrought iron gates for the entrance to Oregon State College were constructed in Portland under the supervision of O.B. Dawson as a federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project and completed in the late 1930s. A campaign was conducted in the spring of 1940 to raise $1500 for installation of the gates. Using the campaign slogan, Put Up the Gates at Oregon State, campus and community leaders sold buttons and solicited cash donations. Proceeds of the second annual Corvallis Garden Pilgrimage in May 1940 supported the campaign. The campaign was successful; the gates were installed at 10th and Madision in 1940 and dedicated in May 1941. In 1953, the gates were moved to 11th and Campus Way.
Return to Put Up the Gates Campaign Scrapbook Home