Daniel Williams Poling earned a BS in Commerce from Oregon Agricultural College in 1928; he returned to Oregon State College in 1937 to teach political science and serve as Assistant Dean of Men. Poling was promoted to Dean of Men in 1947, a position he held until the position became Associate Dean of Students in the early 1970s. Poling retired from Oregon State University in 1972, but "Dean Dan" maintained an active connection with the University until his death in 1998.
Housing for married students, student veterans, and Oregon State faculty was established by Oregon State College, in agreement with the Federal Public Housing Authority, at the former Camp Adair location north of Corvallis in 1946. Adair Village housed more than 1500 residents at its peak.
The Blue Key Honor Society was founded at the University of Florida in 1924. The Oregon State chapter was established in 1934 to recognize male students with a strong academic background and who demonstrated "superior leadership and unselfish commitment to others".
Return to Dan Poling Papers Home