- Airline ticket: American Airlines, Utica to Minneapolis [Filed under LP Travel, Box #1.003, Folder 3.3]
- Article: “Growing Old in America: Frauds, Quackery, Swindle the Aged and Compound their Troubles” by Elinor Langer in Science Vol. 140. [Second paragraph of page 471 circled] [Filed under LP Biographical: Material from LP’s Desk at C.I.T., 1958-1964 Box #1.034, Folder #34.3]
- Itinerary: LP and AHP leave Utica, New York at 9:15 AM, arrive in Minneapolis at 2:43 PM [Filed under LP Travel, Box #1.003, Folder 3.3]
- Letter from Gordon N. Ray to LP RE: Informs LP that he is the new President of the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation and that he will rely heavily on LP’s experienced help since LP has been reappointed as a member of the Foundation’s Educational Advisory Board for another four years. Hopes to see LP soon and encloses minutes concerning Mr. Moe. [Filed under LP Science: (John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, 1953-1975), Box #14.015, Folder #15.9]
- Letter from Karl Graf von Westphalen to LP RE: Westphalen informs LP about a lawsuit beginning May 17th involving some of Hitler’s former generals, who are accusing a democratic citizen. He requests that LP send a declaration of solidarity to the lawyer of the accused. Enclosed is information about the lawsuit. [Filed under LP Correspondence: (W: Correspondence, 1963-1965) #446.1]
- Letter from LP [dictated by LP and signed in his absence by Linda Hopkins] to Hans E. Bejach, Rudolf Virchow Medical Society RE: LP informs Bejach that he is going to rewrite the manuscript “Molecular Disease and Evolution” as soon as he has time. [Letters from Bejach to LP February 5, 1963, March 22, 1963] [Filed under LP Manuscripts of Articles: (Manuscripts and Typescripts of Articles by LP, 1963), Box #1963a, Folder #1963a.18]
- Letter from LP [signed in his absence by RH] to David Davies and Peter Dacre. [Letter from LP to Catchpool May 3, 1963] [Filed under LP Biographical: Materials re: Graduate Assistantships, C.I.T., 1935-1964: Box #1.017, Folder #17.2]
May 3, 1963
Mr. David H. Davies
Mr. Peter D. Dacre
University College, London
London, W. C.
Dear Davies and Dacre:
I am looking forward to seeing you toward the end of June.
I have in mind that you might work with Dr. Frank Catchpool on the anesthetic activity of various anesthetic agents in gold fish. Dr. Catchpool and Dr. Cherkin have developed a satisfactory technique for this purpose, and there are some interesting experiments to be done.
I have asked Dr. Catchpool to give you advice about places to live in Pasadena.
I suggest that you write directly to him, at this address, telling him just when you plan to arrive in Pasadena. Perhaps he will write to you about the possible accommodations for you.
Dictated by Linus Pauling
Signed in his absence:rh
cc: Dr. Frank Catchpool
- Letter from LP to Dr. Frank Catchpool RE: LP requests Catchpool check on living arrangements for Davies and Dacre. [Letter from Davies and Dacre to LP April 27, 1963, Letter from LP to Davies and Dacre May 3, 1963] [Filed under LP Biographical: Materials re: Graduate Assistantships, C.I.T., 1935-1964: Box #1.017, Folder #17.2]
- Letter from LP to Morris J. Nicholson. RE: Doubts that he could attend the next meeting. [Letter from Nicholson April 24, 1963] [Filed under LP Speeches: Speeches by LP, 1963: Box #1963s Folder #1963s.12]
- Letter from LP to Roget Lockard, RE: LP is pleased that Lockard invited him to speak at the New York Student Peace Union. LP hopes that in the future he will be able to accept this invitation. [Letter from Lockard April 24, 1963] [Filed under LP Peace: (Assorted Peace Groups, St-Wa), Box #4.015, Folder #15.1]
- Letter from Linda Hopkins, Secretary to LP, to Linda Facey, RE: In response to Facey’s request Hopkins sends her a biographical sketch and a photo of LP. Refers her to a few of his books, and also sends her some of his papers. [Letter from Facey to LP April 13, 1963] [Filed under LP Correspondence: (F: Correspondence) #129.7]
- Letter from R. E. Bjork, Austin College, to LP RE: Relays to LP the goings on of Austin College. Invited LP to visit LP and address the College. [Filed under LP Correspondence: (B: Correspondence), #40.2]
- Newspaper Article: “USC Chemist Will Refute ‘Virtue’ Idea,” Daily Trojan, May 3, 1963. [Filed under LP Biographical: Legal: Assorted Legal Disputes, 1963-1965: Box #3.058, Folder #59.1]
- Note from Jerry Donohue to LP RE: States that the opinions expressed in the Daily Trojan article “USC Chemists Will Refute ‘Virtue’ idea” do not originate from a majority. [Filed under LP Biographical: Legal: Assorted Legal Disputes, 1963-1965: Box #3.058, Folder #59.1]
- Note from Mrs. John Manning to AHP and LP RE: Shares her interest in the Oxford conference. Thankful for the true report of the of the proceedings. [Filed under LP Correspondence: (M: Correspondence, 1963), #259.2]
- Program: Choral Vespers, Christ Chapel, Gustavus Adolphus College. [Filed under LP Speeches: Speeches by LP, 1963: Box #1963s Folder #1963s.14]
- Schedule: Nobel Hall of Science Dedication; 5:30 PM, drink punch with the faculty; 6:00 PM buffet dinner; 7:30 PM choir concert [Filed under LP Travel, Box #1.003, Folder 3.3]