The Course in Pharmacy was established at Oregon Agricultural College in 1898 with a four-year program leading to a B.S. degree in pharmacy, at a time when most pharmaceutical curricula were only 2-year programs. In 1951, Oregon State College inaugurated a five-year curriculum leading to a B.S. degree in pharmacy -- nine years before the five-year curriculum became the minimum requirement for all U.S. pharmacy schools. In 1999, the College of Pharmacy began offering a four-year entry-level Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) instead of a B.S. degree.
Ernst Thedore Stuhr served on the faculty of the Oregon State College (OSC) School of Pharmacy from 1927 to 1944 as Assistant Professor of Pharmacy (1927-1930) and Associate Professor (1930-1944) of Pharmacology and Pharmacognosy. His major area of research, medicinal plants, was reflected in the many articles that he wrote for scholarly and trade journals.
Return to School of Pharmacy Photograph Collection Home