Photographic services have been provided at OSU since the 1890s. Emile Pernot was hired by Oregon Agricultural College in 1890 to teach photography and to take photographs for the Experiment Station. During the 1924/25 academic year, a formal photographic services unit was established within the Physics Department by John Garman, a Physics Department faculty member who taught photography classes and performed photography for other campus departments. This lab continued to operate as a separate photographic services unit (primarily for non-instructional uses) through at least the early 1970s, when the unit was made a part of the Instructional Resources and Materials Center (IRAM). The Photo Service is currently a unit within the Communication Media Center, the successor to IRAM.
Bill Reasons began working at the Oregon State College Photo Service in September 1953. Prior to his appointment, he had served in the U.S. Navy (1946-1948), attended the Northwest School of Photography (1948-1949) and Multnomah Jr. College (1949-1951) in Portland, and worked briefly at the Kennell Ellis Photography Studio in Portland. Reasons supervised the Photo Service until his death on July 20, 1976.
Return to Reasons, Bill, Photograph Collection Home