Oregon State UniversitySpecial Collections & Archives Research Center

Food Science and Technology Department Photographs, 1900-1963

Scope and Content Note

The Food Science and Technology Department Photographs document the department's food processing and canning laboratories and equipment; research and testing activities of the department; faculty, staff, and students; and canners' and frozen food packers' short courses offered by the department. Several images of the Food Technology Building (now Hovland Hall) are included in the collection. Faculty members Ernest H. Wiegand, Thomas Onsdorff, and H.W. Schultz are depicted in the collection. Postcards of the Italian Swiss Colony Vineyards in Asti, California depict the winery, vineyards, sampling room, and wine vaults.

The collection includes many photographs of commercial food packing and processing facilities and equipment throughout Oregon as well as in Washington, California, and British Columbia, such as those used for walnut and fresh fruit packing, prune drying, and fruit and vegetable canning. Images of packaged food products and of mobile relief canneries in the early 1930s sponsored by organizations such as the Extension Service are also included.

Several images from the collection are available online in the Best of the Archives digital collection. Photographers include Angelus Commercial Studio, Ball Studio, Drake Brothers Studio, Robert W. Henderson, and Wilfley Studio. The collection includes 465 prints, 167 nitrate negatives, 46 film negatives, 44 glass negatives, and 7 lantern slides.

An addition to the Food Science and Technology Photograph Collection (Accession 2010:079) is made up of 27 photographic negatives depicting the construction of Wiegand Hall and includes one shot of Food Science and Technology Department faculty Ernest Wiegand and Borgstrom.


Return to Food Science and Technology Department Photographs Home