In 1919, a horticultural products processing program, the first of its kind in the United States, was begun at Oregon Agricultural College by Ernest H. Wiegand. The modern maraschino cherry was developed by this program in the 1920s. In 1937 the program was established as a department, Food Products Industries. A seafoods lab in Astoria was established in 1940. The department was renamed several times; in 1962 it became the Department of Food Science and Technology. Research efforts have involved nearly every food product produced in Oregon including tree and cane fruits; nuts; vegetables; and meat, dairy and seafood products.
Return to Food Science and Technology Department Photographs Home