Organized in 1916, the Farm Crops Department was established to coordinate research efforts in crop experimentation at the Oregon Agricultural Experiment Station. Prior to 1916, Experiment Station research had been directed by the Department of Agronomy, which was established in 1907. Among the projects undertaken by the Farm Crops Department was the management of the Seed Testing Laboratory, cereal investigation, cooperative extension work with farmers, and research in chemical weed control. Many of these projects were joint cooperative arrangements with the USDA. In 1971, the Department was renamed Agronomic Crop Science and again, in 1977, to Crop Sciences. In 1990, the Crop Science and Soil Science Departments merged to form the Department of Crop and Soil Science.
Return to Farm Crops Department Photographs Home