Photographic services have been provided at OSU since the 1890s. Emile Pernot was hired by Oregon Agricultural College in 1890 to teach photography and to take photographs for the Experiment Station. During the 1924/25 academic year, a formal photographic services unit was established within the Physics Department by John Garman, a Physics Department faculty member who taught photography classes and performed photography for other campus departments.
The Instructional Resources and Materials Center (IRAM) was established in 1965 to provide educational media services such as film ordering; audio-visual equipment rental; and art and photographic services. However, a separate photographic services unit (primarily for non-instructional uses) continued to operate through at least the early 1970s. The Classroom Television Center was officially established in 1966 to support various instructional and promotional uses of television, which had been developing on campus since the mid-1950s. In 1982, IRAM was combined with the Classroom Television to become the Communication Media Center (CMC).
Return to Media Services Photographs Collection Home