Dramatic productions began at Oregon Agricultural College in the 1890s; the Mask and Dagger Club was formed in 1912 "to encourage and promote dramatic work". A theater program was formally established in 1920 as part of a new Public Speaking and Dramatics Department (now the Speech Communication Department). Dramatic productions were presented at the Majestic Theater in downtown Corvallis and a small theater in Benton Hall until 1950 when a campus structure was remodeled into the Mitchell Playhouse. The University Theatre moved to Withycombe Hall in 1991 after Mitchell Playhouse was declared unsafe.
Return to Theatre, University, Photographs Home