Teacher education at OSU began in 1909 under the direction of the Department of Industrial Pedagogy. By 1918, OSU was designated by the State Board of Vocational Education to prepare teachers in vocational subjects. In 1932, an administrative reorganization expanded the School of Education to include preparing students to teach in the biological and physical sciences, agriculture, mathematics, home economics, industrial arts, secretarial science, or for educational and vocational guidance. In 1962, a Doctorate of Philosophy in Education was first offered by the School.
Gale Bentz of the Oregon City Public Schools and George J. Brown of Southwest Missouri State College were visiting staff for the 1962 Graduate Summer School Program for Industrial Arts and Trade and Industrial Education Teachers at Oregon State University. Charles Easley was a graduate student industrial education who completed his thesis in 1963. Raymond Cherry, from Lockport (Illinois) Township High School was also visiting staff for the 1962 graduate program.
Return to School of Education Photographs Home