Science instruction has been a part of Oregon State University's curriculum since the founding of the school. Early this century, the science departments were part of the School of Agriculture and the School of Basic Arts and Sciences. The School of Science was created by the State Board of Higher Education in 1932 as the one school in the state higher education system authorized to grant degrees in science. The first Ph. D. degrees were confered in 1935. The school's name was changed to the College of Science in 1974.
Deans of the school have included Earl L. Packard (1932-1938), Francois A. Gilfillan (1938-1962), Vernon Cheldelin (1962-1965), John M. Ward (1966-1970), Robert W. Krauss (1973-1980), Thomas Sugihara (1981-1986), Frederick M. Horne (1986-1999), and Sherman H. Bloomer (1999-2012).
Return to College of Science Photograph Collection Home