The Corvallis Gazette-Times is a result of numerous mergers. It began as the Corvallis Gazette (1862) and consolidated with the Oregon Union in 1899. The paper’s new name was the Union Gazette and eventually, the Corvallis Gazette. In 1909 the Corvallis Gazette merged with the Corvallis Times, which was formed in 1893 by the merger of the Corvallis Leader and the Corvallis Times— it kept the latter name.
From 1915 to 1950, Claude E. Ingalls was the voice of the Corvallis Gazette-Times. He was a publisher and editor, producer of political rhetoric, and an individual devoted to Oregon State College and the community. Upon his retirement, his son, Robert C. Ingalls, became the new publisher.
In 1969, the Gazette-Times was sold to Lee Enterprises, Inc. which remains the current owner and operator of the newspaper.
Return to Corvallis Gazette-Times Photographs Home