Entomology has been taught at Oregon State since 1873. The Department of Zoology and Entomology was established in 1889, with F. L. Washburn as the chair. In 1914 Entomology was made a separate department and an undergraduate major was created. An M.S. in Entomology was begun in 1911, and in 1938 a Ph. D. program began. Since 1923 the department has been a part of both the College of Science and the College Agricultural Sciences.
Originally housed in Benton Hall, the department moved to Education Hall in 1902, then moved again in 1910 to Strand Hall, and finally relocated to Cordley Hall in 1957. Arthur Burton Cordley served as a professor of Zoology and Entomology as well as Experiment Station Entomologist.
In 2003, due to budget reductions, the Entomology Department was eliminated as a separate organizational unit and the core instructional, scientific, and service functions were transferred to other OSU departments.
Return to Entomology Department Photograph Collection Home