Competitive rowing began at Oregon Agricultural College in 1927 as an intramural (inter-class) sport. A Rowing Club for intercollegiate competition was established in the early 1930s after Edward A. Stevens joined the physcial education faculty in 1931. Stevens had been an oarsman at Cornell University during his student years in the mid-1900s and was the Head Coach of Rowing at Harvard University from 1923 to 1926. Stevens retired from Oregon State College in 1950.
Return to Rowing (Crew) Photograph Collection Home