Oregon Agricultural College's first football team was formed in 1893 by Head Coach William H. Bloss, son of College President John McKnight Bloss. Members of the team included a high school junior as well as John Fulton, a faculty member at the College who worked in the chemistry department.
The College's first football game was played against Albany College on November 11, 1893 and ended in a 63-0 sweep. Home games were played at Bell Field from 1913 to 1953, when construction of Parker Stadium was completed. In 1999, the stadium was renamed as Reser Stadium; the stadium was expanded in 2005.
Throughout the history of Oregon State's football team, three Rose Bowl appearances have occurred: 1942 (W), 1957 (L), and 1965 (L). In 1933, Oregon State played defending national champion USC to a scoreless tie with no player substitutions. Eleven men (now known as the Iron Men) played both offense and defense for the full game.
Return to Football Photograph Collection Home