Born in Sherman County, Oregon, in 1889, Erwin Bertran Lemon graduated with a degree in Business from OAC in 1911. That same year, Lemon's longtime association with the University continued with his appointment as a part-time instructor of accounting. Teaching for the School of Commerce until 1943, Lemon also held the post of University Registrar for 21 years (1922 to 1943) during this period. From 1943 until his retirement from the University in 1959, Lemon served as Dean of Administration. Outside the University, Lemon assumed leadership roles in several professional organizations including the American Association of Registrars and the Pacific Coast Registrar's Association. After retiring in 1959, Lemon remained active on behalf of the University through involvement in the OSU Alumni Association and the OSU Foundation (serving on the Board of Trustees from 1965 to 1978). Lemon was also active in Corvallis civic affairs, including involvement in the Corvallis Area Chamber of Commerce, the Corvallis School Board, and the local chapter of the Rotary Club. For his service to OSU and the community, Lemon was honored with a Distinguished Service Award from the University in 1968 and was named "First Citizen of Benton County " in 1959. Lemon died in 1979.
Return to E. B. Lemon Papers Home