The Kupono Cooperative House was formed in September 1938 at 342 South 10th Street and consisted of five male Oregon State College students and the mother of three of them who acted as house mother and cook. The cooperative was formally established in the fall of 1939 and had 30 members during the 1939-1940 academic year. Kupono was the first cooperative established at Oregon State College. The name "Kupono" was selected from the Esperanto or universal language and means "dividends assured". A fixed amount was charged to each member per month for room and board with the understanding that whatever was remaining after all expenses were paid would be divided among the members. The house closed at the end of spring term in 1943, with the intent of re-opening after the war.
Return to Kupono Cooperative House Scrapbook Home