Oceanography research began at Oregon State College in 1954 with a small research grant from the Office of Naval Research. The Oceanography Department was established within the School of Science in 1959 to fulfill the need for trained oceanographers and basic oceanographic research in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of the Pacific Northwest. The department became the School of Oceanography in 1972 and the College of Oceanography in 1983. When the Atmospheric Sciences Department was transferred to the College in 1993, it was renamed the College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences.
Fred W. Decker was a faculty member at Oregon State University from 1946 to 1981; he taught courses in engineering physics, astronomy, climatology, and theoretical and applied meterology and was a member of the Atmospheric Sciences Department after it was established in 1969.
Return to College of Oceanic and Atmospheric Sciences Motion Picture Films and Videotapes Home