On March 6, 1961, Governor Mark Hatfield signed into law the legislative act which changed the name of the institution from Oregon State College to Oregon State University. A.L. Strand served as president of Oregon State from 1942 until his retirement in 1961.
Robert W. MacVicar came to Oregon State University in 1970 and served as the University President from then until his retirement in 1984. He was followed as President by John V. Byrne who served for 11 years until the end of 1995. Byrne's OSU career began in 1960 as faculty member in the Oceanography Department. He became the first Dean of the School of Oceanography in 1972 and subsequently served as Dean of Research, Acting Dean of the Graduate School, and Vice President for Research and Greaduate Studies between 1976 and 1981. He left OSU in 1981 to head the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, a position he held until he returned to OSU in 1984.
Return to President's Office Motion Picture Film and Videotapes Home