The College of Home Economics at Oregon State University was established in 1889 as the Department of Household Economy and Hygiene and was the first such program west of the Rocky Mountains. The College merged with the College of Health and Human Performance in 2002 to form the College of Health and Human Sciences.
Home management houses (or practice houses) were established in the School of Home Economics in 1916 and a six-week residency in one of the houses was required of all home economics students. Beginning in 1926, infants and toddlers lived in the home management houses and were cared for by the students and resident advisor. More than 50 children lived in the home management houses for several weeks to a year from 1926 through the 1940s.
Return to College of Home Economics Motion Picture Films and Videotapes Home