Oregon State UniversitySpecial Collections & Archives Research Center

Collections

E (45)

George Edmonston, Jr. Collection

George Edmonston, Jr. Collection, 1907-2011

The George Edmonston, Jr. Collection primarily consists of materials collected and generated by Edmonston over the course of his nineteen years (1986-2005) as editor of the Oregon Stater alumni magazine, during which time he wrote dozens of articles on the history of the university. The collection includes original and reproduced photographs and other primary sources used by Edmonston in his research and writing on OSU and the Willamette Valley. Also included are materials documenting the activities of the Oregon Stater, the OSU Alumni Association and the OSU 30-Staters Clubs both before and during Edmonston's time at OSU, as well as items written by Edmonston for publication outside of the Oregon Stater.
MSS Edmonston
2.8 cubic feet, including 497 photographs, 2 compact discs and 2 DVDs; 717 megabytes born digital; 6 boxes including 2 oversize boxes
University History, Multicultural Archives / PhotographsVideosBorn-Digital Materials 

School of Education Photographs

School of Education Photographs, 1962-1967

The School of Education Photographs consist of images of the Industrial Education summer picnic, the industrial education laboratories, and faculty of the Oregon State University School of Education at a staff meeting the late 1960s.
P 108
0.01 cubic foot, including 9 photographs; 1 box
University History / Photographs 

School of Education Records

School of Education Records, 1939-1986

The School of Education Records document the academic and research programs of the School of Education at Oregon State University in elementary and secondary teacher education as well as vocational and adult education. Teacher education began at OSU in 1909 under the department of Industrial Education and culminated with the merger of the College of Education with Western Oregon College (now Western Oregon University) from 1982 to 1989.
RG 184
4.6 cubic feet; 5 boxes; 1 microfilm reel
University History, Multicultural Archives 

Educational Opportunities Program Records

Educational Opportunities Program Records, 1983-1999

The Educational Opportunities Program (EOP) Records document the administration and activities of the College Assistance Migrant Program (CAMP) at Oregon State University, a federally funded program for students of migrant or seasonal farmworkers, and other EOP programs that support non-traditional students.
RG 230
1.2 cubic feet; 2 boxes, including 1 oversize box
University History, Multicultural Archives / Photographs 

Alice L. Edwards papers

Alice L. Edwards papers, 1895-1962

These papers were generated and collected by Alice L. Edwards. They document her career as a home economist and includes materials related to her personal life. The collection contains correspondence, publications, articles, certificates and two diaries kept by Edwards on a trip to Europe in 1925.
MSS EdwardsAlice
1.25 cubic ft.; 5 boxes
University History / Photographs 

Floyd and Lilly Nordgren Edwards Collection

Floyd and Lilly Nordgren Edwards Collection, 1923-1933

The Floyd and Lilly Nordgren Edwards Collection consists of materials created and assembled by Floyd Edwards and Lilly Nordgren primarily during the early 1930s when Edwards was a graduate student at Oregon Agricultural College and Nordgren was an instructor in office training and secretarial science. Floyd Edwards earned BS (1923) and MS (1931) degrees in agriculture from Oregon Agricultural College (OAC). Lilly Nordgren earned a BS in commerce from OAC in 1924.
MSS EdwardsFloyd
0.05 cubic foot; 1 box
University History, Natural Resources 

Electrical Engineering Department Records

Electrical Engineering Department Records, 1972-2002

The Electrical Engineering Department Records consist of scholarship data, department bylaws, newsletters, correspondence, survey forms and meeting minutes documenting the activities of the department.
RG 121
2 rolls 16mm microfilm; 3 archives boxes; 2 document boxes; 10 file folders
University History, History of Science 

Paul R. Elliker Papers

Paul R. Elliker Papers, 1934-1973

These papers were created during Elliker's tenure at Purdue University and as chairman of the Department of Microbiology at Oregon State University. They document his research interests and career in teaching. The collection consists of professional correspondence, laboratory notes and tests, teaching curriculum notes, memorabilia, and a published paper.
MSS Elliker
1.2 cubic feet; The materials are housed in one cubic foot box and in two document boxes.
University History, Natural Resources, History of Science / Photographs 

Pitts Elmore Photographs

Pitts Elmore Photographs, 1921-1922

The Pitts Elmore Photographs consist of several views of Oregon Agricultural College buildings and campus scenes taken by Elmore, who graduated from Oregon Agricultural College in 1925.
P 123
0.01 cubic foot, including 7 photographs; 1 box
University History / Photographs 

Merlin S. Eltzroth Papers

Merlin S. Eltzroth Papers, 1971-2005

The Merlin S. Eltzroth Papers consist of field notes compiled by Eltzroth about first and second recorded sightings of birds that are rarely seen in Oregon and a personal history, Here, There and Eltzwhere, written by Eltzroth. Eltzroth earned a BS degree in Wildlife Science from Oregon State University in 1974.
MSS Eltzroth
0.4 cubic foot; 1 box
University History, History of Science, Local History 

Joseph Emery Lecture Notebook

Joseph Emery Lecture Notebook, ca. 1872

The Emery Lecture Notebook contains geology lecture notes and entries regarding subscriptions to purchase the original campus of Corvallis College.
MSS Emery
0.1 cubic ft.
University History, Natural Resources, History of Science 

Paul Emmett Papers

Paul Emmett Papers, 1918-2001

Paul Emmett (1900-1985), a friend and colleague of Linus Pauling, graduated in 1922 from Oregon Agricultural College and completed his doctoral work on heterogeneous catalysis at Caltech in 1925. A major figure in the history of catalysis chemistry, Emmett was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 1955 and worked at a handful of institutions, including The Johns Hopkins University, where he chaired the Chemical Engineering Department until his retirement in 1971. Special Collections houses Emmett's manuscripts, research notebooks, correspondence and awards.
MSS Emmett
114 linear feet; 233 boxes
University History, History of Science / PhotographsSound Recordings and Oral HistoriesVideos 

Oregon Agricultural College Engineering Association Records

Oregon Agricultural College Engineering Association Records, 1905-1909

The Oregon Agricultural College Engineering Association Records document the activities and administration of this organization of junior and senior electrical and mechanical engineering students.
RG 040
0.02 cubic ft.; 1 microfilm reel
University History, History of Science 

Engineering Experiment Station Records

Engineering Experiment Station Records, 1904-1989

The Engineering Experiment Station Records document engineering research conducted by faculty, staff, and students at Oregon State University. The bulk of the collection is comprised of the Papers of Samuel H. Graf. The Engineering Experiment Station was established at Oregon Agricultural College in 1927. Samuel H. Graf earned several engineering degrees from Oregon Agricultural College, joined the faculty in 1909, and served as director of engineering research (1928-1944) and director of the Engineering Experiment Station (1944-1954).
RG 100
1 cubic foot; 1 box; 34 microfilm reels
University History, Natural Resources, History of Science 

College of Engineering Photograph Collection

College of Engineering Photograph Collection, 1940-2011

The College of Engineering Photograph Collection includes group photographs of graduating classes from the Schools of Mechanical Engineering, Industrial and Manufacturing, and Metallurgic Engineering as well as composites of Engineering faculty and staff members. Also included are a number of slides generated for use in various presentations.
P 069
2.61 cubic feet, including 117 photographs and 222 slides; 2 20x24 oversize boxes, 3 map drawers, 1 document box and 1 file folder
University History, Natural Resources, History of Science / PhotographsBorn-Digital Materials 

College of Engineering Records

College of Engineering Records, 1930-2002

These records were generated and assembled by the College of Engineering and document the administration of the College and the instructional, research, and professional activities of engineering faculty at Oregon State University.
RG 062
23 cubic feet; 24 boxes, including 1 oversize box; 9 microfilm reels
University History, Natural Resources, History of Science 

College of Engineering Videotapes

College of Engineering Videotapes, 1995-1996

The College of Engineering Videotapes consist of a videotape about the Multiple Engineering Cooperative Program (MECOP) and a promotional and recruiting videotape about the College's academic programs.
FV P 069
0.06 cubic foot, including 2 videotapes; 1 box
University History, History of Science / Videos 

David C. England Papers

David C. England Papers, 1954-1990

The David C. England Papers consist of materials related to England's research in swine production and breeding.
MSS England
1.7 cubic feet, including 915 photographs.; 2 archives boxes
University History, Natural Resources / Photographs 

English Department Photographs

English Department Photographs, ca. 1960

The English Department Photographs consist exclusively of images Bernard Malamud, novelist and Oregon State College English professor.
P 222
1 B&W print and 17 negatives
University History / Photographs 

English Language Institute Records

English Language Institute Records, 1982-2000

The English Language Institute Records document the promotional activities and special programs of the intensive English language instruction program established at Oregon State University in 1965.
RG 234
9.7 cubic feet; 13 archives boxes and 3 oversize boxes
University History, Multicultural Archives / VideosBorn-Digital Materials 

Entomology Department Photograph Collection

Entomology Department Photograph Collection, 1912-2002

This collection consists of photographs generated and collected by the Entomology Department. The materials document the activities of department faculty, staff, and students as well as classes, entomology research and fieldwork, and various insects.
P 055
1.3 cubic feet, including 2,566 images; 2 file folders, 4 document boxes, 1 postcard box
University History, History of Science / PhotographsVideos 

Entomology Department Records

Entomology Department Records, 1887-2003

The Entomology Department Records were generated and collected by the Entomology Department at Oregon State University and pertain to the development and administration of the department. They document policy formulation, compilation of departmental information, faculty research, committee activity, and interaction between the Extension Service and the department, and also reflect the department's acquisition and loan of entomological specimens. Entomology was first taught at Corvallis College in 1873; the Department of Zoology and Entomology was established in 1889.
RG 027
17 cubic feet; 18 boxes and 1 map folder; 4 microfilm reels
University History, History of Science 

Environmental Health Sciences Center Records

Environmental Health Sciences Center Records, 1964-1996

The Environmental Health Sciences Center Records document interdisciplinary reserach in environmental toxicology at Oregon State University. The Environmental Health Sciences Center was established in 1967 with funding from the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.
RG 155
1.3 cubic ft.
University History, Natural Resources, History of Science 

Environmental and Molecular Toxicology Department Faculty Research Publications

Environmental and Molecular Toxicology Department Faculty Research Publications, 1973-2010

The Environmental and Molecular Toxicology Department Faculty Research Publications consist of journal articles written by faculty and graduate student researchers at Oregon State University conducting toxicology-based research on the effects of chemicals on humans and the environment. The Environmental and Molecular Toxicology Department, an academic unit in the College of Agricultural Sciences, was formed in 1998 as a result of a reorganization of former programs in agricultural chemistry and toxicology.
RG 255
0.5 cubic foot; 2 boxes
University History, History of Science 

Environmental Remote Sensing Applications Laboratory Records

Environmental Remote Sensing Applications Laboratory Records, 1970-1983

The Environmental Remote Sensing Applications Laboratory (ERSAL) Records document the projects undertaken by the Laboratory to forward the application of remote sensing technology to a variety of natural resource and environmental problems. ERSAL was established at Oregon State University in 1972 with funding from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
RG 218
5.5 cubic feet, including 200 photographs; 6 boxes, including 1 roll storage container
University History, Natural Resources, History of Science / PhotographsMaps 

Epsilon Pi Tau Records

Epsilon Pi Tau Records, 1931-1967

The Epsilon Pi Tau Records document the activities of the OSU chapter of EPT, an Industrial Arts and Vocational Education Honor Society, and include correspondence, financial records, minutes, publications, memorabilia, and related documentation.
MSS EpsilonPiTau
4 cubic feet; 3 archives boxes and 1 20x24 oversize box
University History 

Leif D. Espenas Papers

Leif D. Espenas Papers, 1938-1970

The Leif D. Espenas Papers document Espenas' work as a forest products researcher and administrator with the Oregon Forest Products Laboratory and the Oregon State University Forest Research Laboratory. Espenas joined the Forest Products Laboratory as a Wood Technologist in 1947 and was a researcher at the laboratory until his death in 1973. His research speciality was kiln drying and wood-moisture relations.
MSS Espenas
5.5 cubic feet; 6 boxes
University History, Natural Resources 

Eta Sigma Gamma Alpha Tau Chapter Records

Eta Sigma Gamma Alpha Tau Chapter Records, 1974-2001

The Eta Sigma Gamma Alpha Tau Chapter Records document the establishment and activities of the Oregon State University chapter of the Eta Sigma Gamma honorary society for health education. The Alpha Tau Chapter was formed at Oregon State University in 1979 and became inactive in 2001.
MSS EtaSigma
1.5 cubic feet, including 25 photographs; 2 boxes, including 1 oversize box
University History / Photographs 

Ethnic Studies Department Records

Ethnic Studies Department Records, 2005

The Ethnic Studies Department Records consist of video recordings of a symposium, Sojourners, Settlers, New Immigrants: Mexicanos in Oregon Ayer y Hoy, held at Oregon State University in 2005.
RG 227
0.1 cubic foot; 1 box
University History, Multicultural Archives / Videos 

Alice Kidder Evans Photograph Collection

Alice Kidder Evans Photograph Collection, 1889-1919

The Alice Kidder Evans Photograph Collection consists of photographs assembled by Alice Kidder Evans and her father Andrew Kidder. Most of the images depict Oregon Agricultural College buildings and students. Andrew Kidder attended OAC from 1893 to 1896; his daughter Alice graduated from OAC in 1924.
P 144
0.1 cubic ft.; 20 items
University History / Photographs 

Evans, Gwil, Photographic Collection

Evans, Gwil, Photographic Collection, 1930-1968

This extensive photographic collection consists of photographs taken by the staff of the Oregon State College (and later Oregon State University) News Bureau.
P 082
6 cubic feet; approx. 3000 prints and 5000 negatives.
University History, Natural Resources, Multicultural Archives, History of Science, Local History / Photographs 

Harold J. Evans Papers

Harold J. Evans Papers, 1947-1992

The Harold J. Evans Papers consist of materials relating to Evans' nitrogen fixation research.
MSS EvansHJ
3.3 cubic feet, including 790 photographs; 4 archives boxes
University History, History of Science, Natural Resources / Photographs 

Experiment Station Communications Films

Experiment Station Communications Films, 1974-1984

The Experiment Station Communications Films were produced by the Oregon State University Experiment Station primarily for television public service announcements to provide information about agricultural research.
FV P 132
11 cubic feet; approx. 350 reels
University History, Natural Resources / Videos 

Experiment Station Publications Photographic Collection

Experiment Station Publications Photographic Collection, 1949-1979

The Experiment Station Publications Photographic Collection document Agricultural Experiment Station research in Corvallis and at Branch Stations throughout Oregon.
P 132
0.3 cubic foot, including 500 photographs; 1 box
University History, Natural Resources / Photographs 

Expositions and Fairs Photograph Collection

Expositions and Fairs Photograph Collection, 1905-1949

The Expositions and Fairs Photograph Collection contains images documenting the 1905 Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition in Portland, as well as later Oregon State Fair displays and small exhibits hosted on the OSC campus.
P 043
3 folders including 16 print photographs and one 8" x 10" glass negative.
University History, Natural Resources / Photographs 

OSU Extension Association Records

OSU Extension Association Records, 1982-1999

The OSU Extension Association Records consist of membership lists, by-laws, memoranda, correspondence, newsletters, meeting minutes, and budgetary materials generated by the OSU Extension Association.
MSS OSUEA
0.71 cubic foot; 1 archives box and 1 file folder
University History, Natural Resources 

Oregon State University Extension Association/4-H Records

Oregon State University Extension Association/4-H Records, 1977-1996

The Oregon State University Extension Association/4-H Records document the members, programs, and activities of the professional association of 4-H extension agents in Oregon. The organization was established in 1975 and is affiliated with the National Association of Extension 4-H Agents (NAE4-HA) and the Oregon State University Extension Association.
MSS OSUEA4H
0.7 cubic feet, including 622 photographs and 1 audiocassette; 3 boxes
University History / PhotographsSound Recordings and Oral Histories 

Extension Bulletin Illustrations Photograph Collection

Extension Bulletin Illustrations Photograph Collection, 1915-1963

The Extension Bulletin Illustrations Photograph Collection consists of images that were created and assembled for use in Oregon State College Extension Service publications and county reports. They document extension activities in agriculture, home economics, and youth programs.
P 020
1.2 cubic feet, including 2200 photographs; 8 boxes
University History, Natural Resources, Multicultural Archives / Photographs 

Extension and Experiment Station Communications Moving Images

Extension and Experiment Station Communications Moving Images, 1937-2007

The Extension and Experiment Station Communication Moving Images include motion picture films, videotapes and DVDs of final productions and raw footage documenting the variety of Oregon State University Extension and Experiment Station outreach and research activities in agriculture, forestry, home economics, fisheries, and 4-H.
FV P 120
50 cubic feet, including 1150 films, 561 videotapes, and 2 DVDs; 149 boxes and 7 film cans
University History, Natural Resources, Multicultural Archives / Videos 

Extension and Experiment Station Communications Photograph Collection

Extension and Experiment Station Communications Photograph Collection, 1912-1997

The Extension and Experiment Station Communications Photograph Collection consists of about 25,500 images generated by Experiment Station staff. These images were used in publications such as Oregon's Agricultural Progress and Pacific Northwest Bulletins as well as news releases, poster presentations and displays. The images depict a variety of OSU research projects, Experiment Station branch facilities, portraits of OSU staff, Extension and Experiment Station-sponsored events, and animal-oriented topics.
P 120
7.6 cubic feet, including about 10,200 prints; 15,300 negatives; and 1,034 slides; 7 archives boxes, 1 16x20 oversize box, 1 12x17 oversize box, 4 document boxes
University History, Natural Resources, Local History / PhotographsBorn-Digital Materials 

Extension and Experiment Station Communications Records

Extension and Experiment Station Communications Records, 1949-1995

The Extension and Experiment Station Communications Records document preparation of publications, news releases, radio programs, and public service announcements by Oregon State University Extension programs in agriculture, home economics, marine resources, and 4-H. In addition, the records document the communication of the results of OSU Agricultural Experiment Station research to the public and other researchers. The records include sound recordings, publication records, and biographical files for Extension agents and specialists.
RG 069
5.8 cubic ft.; 3 microfilm reels; 548 audio tapes
University History, Natural Resources, Multicultural Archives / Sound Recordings and Oral Histories 

Extension Family and Community Health Program Records

Extension Family and Community Health Program Records, 1956-2012

The Extension Family and Community Health Program Records document educational programs developed and offered by Oregon State Extension faculty for Oregonians. The bulk of the collection consists of slide presentations, workshop leader guides and participant handouts, newsletters and other publications, and video productions on food buying, food preservation, meal preparation, and nutrition. Family and Community Health is a program of the Oregon State University Extension Service within the College of Public Health and Human Sciences.
RG 252
10.8 cubic feet, including 4847 photographs, 33 videotapes, 24 audiocassettes, 9 DVDs, and 8 CDs; 13 boxes, including 1 oversize box
University History / Sound Recordings and Oral HistoriesPhotographsVideosBorn-Digital Materials 

Oregon State University Extension Service Faculty and Staff Oral History Collection

Oregon State University Extension Service Faculty and Staff Oral History Collection, 2007-2009

The Oregon State University Extension Service Faculty and Staff Oral History Collection consists of digital recordings of oral history interviews with retired and emeritus Extension Service faculty and staff, transcripts, photographs, and related documentation. These oral histories document the programs and activities of the Extension Service in Oregon from the 1940s through the 1990s.
OH 14
0.03 cubic foot; 1 box; 59 sound files, 54 image files, and 87 document files; 10.8 Gbytes
University History, Natural Resources / Sound Recordings and Oral HistoriesPhotographsBorn-Digital Materials 

Extension Service Photographs

Extension Service Photographs, 1900-2007

The Extension Service Photographs document Extension programs, activities, and staff throughout Oregon as well as Oregon agriculture. The Extension Service was established in Oregon in 1911.
P 062
2.4 cubic feet, including 3350 photographs; 9 boxes, including 2 oversize boxes
University History, Natural Resources, Multicultural Archives / Photographs 

Extension Service Records

Extension Service Records, 1903-2002

The Extension Service Records pertain to the administration and programmatic activities of the Oregon State University Extension Service. The records document policies and procedures, research activities, special events, and services provided to Oregonians at the state and county levels. They also document the service's relationship with the federal government and extension services in other states.
RG 111
96 cubic ft.; The Extension Service records are housed in 93 cubic foot boxes, 1 document case, 5 oversize boxes, and 1 oversize drawer.; 218 microfilm reels
University History, Natural Resources, Multicultural Archives, Local History / Sound Recordings and Oral HistoriesMapsScrapbooksBorn-Digital Materials