The Oregon State University Collegiate 4-H Club, originally called the OAC (Oregon Agricultural College) Campus 4-H Club, was organized in the early 1920s. The Campus 4-H Club was established by ex-4-H Club members who were interested in maintaining contact with their 4-H friends and with the Extension Service. Through the Campus Club these college students were able to maintain friendships from 4-H Summer School, the State Fair, the Pacific International Livestock exhibition and other inter-county events. An undated history of the Collegiate 4-H Club proclaimed the club offered new and rewarding experiences to students on their entrance to college.
The Oregon chapter of Mu Beta Beta, the 4-H Club honorary society,was established in 1928 with 22 members, and the Campus 4-H Club was instrumental in getting the honorary society started. Within the School of Agriculture, the Campus 4-H club has operated much as a departmental club participating in Agricultural School activities such as dances, banquets, and the little Pacific International. Activities have varied over the years. For example, during the 1930s, square dancing was very popular. In 1950 and 1951 the Campus Club and Mu Beta Beta helped to establish the International FarmYouth Exchange Program (IFYE) in Oregon. The activities in the 1960s included providing leadership for 4-H clubs at the Children's Farm Home and providing teams for county visitations to provide instructions in record keeping, showmanship, officer training, recreation and other aspects of 4-H club work.
The club changed its name from Campus 4-H Club to Collegiate 4-H Club in the 1962, shortly after Oregon State College became Oregon State University. In the early sixties, Collegiate 4-H Clubs were also established, at Linfield College and at the University of Oregon. Their club activities have been similar to those at OSU with special work at Eola Village in McMinnville and the Pearl Buck home in Eugene.
The 1970s and early 1980s activities included participating in LABO - 4-H Exchanges, whereby Japanese students visited the campus and stayed with various 4-H families. However, in 1985 the club became inactive and remained so until 1999.
Return to Oregon State University Collegiate 4-H Club Records Home